This strategy was taken from the Global Learning Partnership, whereby students have to label and draw map of the world in 3D form on a balloon using a white board pen.
This activity can be used in a number of ways:
- Assessing students spatial awareness (prior knowledge)
- Recalling locational knowledge of key geographical features i.e. lines of latitude, continents oceans
- Revision activity to locate case study locations
- A fun game with a list of locations which they must include
- Stretch and challenge when used without an atlas or map resource to refer to
This strategy could also be used to relate prior content taught i.e. tectonic plates. Not to mention the students have a memento to take home and show how amazing their geography lessons are!